Schlafly Bottleworks Butternut Squash Bisque
Schlafly has a brewery and restaurant in St. Louis.
Yield: 11 cups
1 tablespoon 50-50 canola-olive oil blend
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced leek, white and light green parts only
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 tablespoons bourbon
7 1/2 tablespoons dry sherry
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 pounds steamed butternut squash cubes
6 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
Sea salt, to taste
Ground white pepper, to taste
Cinnamon oil (see note) and toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
Note: For cinnamon oil, Bottleworks gently steeps then strains about 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated cinnamon in about 1/4 cup neutral salad oil.
1. Heat oil until shimmery in a large, heavy pot on medium heat. Stir in onion and leek, cook until soft and translucent. Stir in ginger, let cook until aromatic. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. The pot should be slightly dry; add bourbon and sherry, deglazing the pot. Let liquid reduce by half.
2. Stir in cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, steamed squash, vegetable stock, soy sauce and maple syrup. Bring to a boil and let simmer until squash is soft and almost disintegrating, about 30 to 45 minutes.
3. Stir in cream, then use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth, light and airy.
4. Return to a simmer but do not allow to boil. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
5. To serve Bottleworks style, serve in cups or bowls, drizzle with a little cinnamon oil and scatter with pumpkin seeds.
Per serving: 175 calories; 6g fat; 3g saturated fat; 15mg cholesterol; 3g protein; 24g carbohydrate; 9g sugar; 6g fiber; 540mg sodium; 93mg calcium.
As you waste your breath complaining about life, someone out there is breathing their last.
Appreciate what you have.
Be thankful and stop complaining.
Live more, complain less.
Have more smiles, less stress.
Posted by: "Jodi T" <email@example.com>
|Reply via web post||•||Reply to sender||•||Reply to group||•||Start a New Topic||•||Messages in this topic (1)|