Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1 thigh and drumstick • Points +: 6 pts • Smart Points: 9
Calories: 235 • Fat: 9.3 g • Protein: 27.6 g • Carb: 8.5 g • Fiber: 1.6 g • Sugar: 1.1 Sodium: 371.5 mg
- 6 bone-in chicken legs with thighs attached, skin removed (6 thighs, 6 drumsticks)
- 1 lime or 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 4 medium scallions, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 – 1 hot scotch bonnet pepper, seeds + membrane removed, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (for gluten free use GF Tamari)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (canola would be fine too)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped finely
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened light coconut milk (I like Thai Kitchen)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
Squeeze lime over chicken and rub well. Drain off excess lime juice.
Using gloves combine tomato, scallion, onion, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, thyme and soy sauce in a large bowl and add to the chicken. Cover and marinate at least one hour.
Heat oil in a dutch pot or large saucepan. Shake off the seasonings as you remove each piece of chicken from the marinade, reserving the marinade for later.
Lightly brown the chicken on medium-high heat. When browned on all sides, pour the marinade over the chicken and add the carrots. Stir and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Mix cornstarch and coconut milk and add to stew, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and cook an additional 20 minutes or until tender, add salt to taste.Source: Skinny Taste
Posted by: Rhonda Allison-Gray <email@example.com>
|Reply via web post||•||Reply to sender||•||Reply to group||•||Start a New Topic||•||Messages in this topic (1)|