You can prepare the toppings while the soup simmers to save prep time. This recipe serves a crowd, you can easily halve the amounts for a smaller batch.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup minced chipotles in adobo (to taste)
- 1 15-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 4 to 5 cups leftover cooked turkey meat, shredded
- 1 large (108 ounce, 6 lb 12 oz, 3 kg) can white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 4 quarts of turkey stock or chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano (Mexican if available)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 head green cabbage, sliced thin
- 3 avocados, diced
- 1 bunch red radishes, sliced thin
- 8 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 large bunch cilantro, chopped (stems included)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 limes, cut into wedges
- A couple dozen tostada shells (can use tortilla chips or fried corn tortillas as well)
1 Sauté onions, garlic, add chipotle: Heat olive oil on medium high heat in a large (12 quart) stockpot. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic.
Add the minced chipotles in adobo (start with 1/4 cup and add more later to desired heat). Cook for another 3 minutes.
2 Add remaining soup ingredients and simmer: Add the tomatoes and cooked turkey meat to the pot, stirring to combine. Add the rinsed and drained hominy. Add the stock.
Taste and add salt (at least a tablespoon if you are using unsalted stock) to taste. Add the bay leaves, oregano, ground cloves, and cinnamon. Add more water if the soup is too thick with hominy for your preference.
Bring to a simmer. Taste and add more salt, herbs, or chipotle to taste. You may need more salt than you expect, if you are using homemade, unsalted stock. Simmer for 45 minutes.
3 Set the table with toppings arranged in separate serving dishes. Spoon out the soup into bowls. Let people add the toppings they want to the soup.
Posted by: Rhonda Allison-Gray <firstname.lastname@example.org>
|Reply via web post||•||Reply to sender||•||Reply to group||•||Start a New Topic||•||Messages in this topic (1)|