Buckwheat barley stew
Beef barley stew has been enjoyed for centuries because its stewed chunks of meat and chewy, nutty barley taste good, are easy to make and fill you up. Even better, stew meat can be lean and barley is good for your heart, which means that the dish is actually good for you. However, it can be better, for instance by adding more whole grains in the form of buckwheat groats. This increases the heart health power and gives the stew a whole new flavor and texture.
Yields 12 servings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound lean beef, cut into chunks
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 10 cups beef broth
- 1 cup kasha (buckwheat groats)
- 1 cup barley
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 8 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil.
- Once it's hot, add the onion and a healthy pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook the onion for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the beef and then add it to the pot with the zest.
- Cook the beef until done, another 8 minutes or so.
- Add the beef broth, kasha, barley, carrots and oregano.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes.
- At the last second, stir in the cheese.
Source: Fabulous Food
Rhonda in MO
Posted by: Rhonda <email@example.com>
|Reply via web post||•||Reply to sender||•||Reply to group||•||Start a New Topic||•||Messages in this topic (1)|
Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.
Another Great Group of *~ Beth ~*