The ingredients for Irish stew are layered in a heavy pot and slow-cooked in the oven, allowing the lamb and potatoes to tenderize and the flavors to deepen and meld. The best part is that you can walk away from the simmering pot and return two hours later to a mouthwatering meal.
- SERVINGS: 6
- 3 pounds small Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 2 medium onions, (about 1 pound), halved lengthwise and cut into thin half-moons
- 2 1/2 pounds lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups homemade lamb stock, or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh curly- or flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut 1 pound of the potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick rounds; spread them out in a large (5- to 6-quart) heavy-bottom pot or Dutch oven. Layer half the onions on top of the potatoes.
- Place lamb cubes on top of onions. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; season with pepper. Add the thyme. Place remaining onions on top of lamb. Add the stock and 1 cup water.
- Place whole potatoes on top of onions. Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Cover with a tight-fitting lid; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Transfer to oven; cook, without stirring, 2 hours. Sprinkle with parsley.
A heavy pot with a tight-fitting cover works best, don't lift the lid or stir the stew: The more heat and moisture there is, the more tender the results will be.
Source: Martha Stewart
Rhonda in MO
Posted by: Rhonda <firstname.lastname@example.org>
|Reply via web post||•||Reply to sender||•||Reply to group||•||Start a New Topic||•||Messages in this topic (1)|
Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.
Another Great Group of *~ Beth ~*