Tuesday, November 10, 2009

{soups-salads-and-salad-dressings} Dilled Chicken Soup Recipe

 

Dilled Chicken Soup Recipe

 

I grew up in a large family. Each Sunday, we took turns in the kitchen, with our mother training us. Everyone who tries this soup says it's the best they've ever tasted. I'm a widow(my eight children are all happily married), living in a senior citizens apartment. Many times, I'll give a bowl to my neighbors here. When you make this soup, my suggestion is to put it on and just "leave it cook". You can get so many other household tasks accomplished while it does. Try it and see!

This recipe is:
Contest Winning
Healthy

 


10 Servings
Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 1-1/4 hours

Ingredients
1 whole chicken (4 to 5 pounds), quartered
4 celery ribs with leaves, cut up
3 medium carrots
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and quartered
1 small parsnip, peeled and sliced
Few sprigs fresh dill
Water
Salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces thin egg noodles, cooked and drained

Directions
Place chicken, vegetables and dill in a large kettle. Add water to cover, about 2-1/2 qts. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Skim foam. Add salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
Remove chicken and vegetables; set aside to cool. Pour the broth through a strainer. Slice carrots and dice chicken; return to broth. Discard all other vegetables and bones. Add noodles to soup and heat through. Yield: 10 servings.


Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (without salt) equals 3-1/2 meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable; also; 328 calories, 65 mg sodium, 127 mg cholesterol, 19 gm carbohydrate, 29 gm protein, 10 gm fat.

 


Dilled Chicken Soup published in Country Woman September/October 1991, p33
 


Refrigerate Chicken Soup without Noodles
When I make my favorite chicken noodle soup, I find it tastes better if I refrigerate the soup without the noodles. When it's time to serve, I add the noodles to the amount of soup I'm going to use and cook them until tender. —Martha Dimitch, Nineveh, Indiana
 
 
 
 

            Beth Layman  :)


GH:Anna,Robert & Robin Scorpio(Drake) Fan Forever
My Scorpio-Devane-Drake Clan

__._,_.___
Another Great Group of *~ Beth ~*
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment