Wednesday, November 18, 2009

{soups-salads-and-salad-dressings} Cheesy Turkey Broccoli/Cauliflower soup

 

*First let me say I have been enjoying reading through the recipes getting us all ready for using the carcass of the left over turkey.
I am NOT even close to a professional cook but I dreamed this up a few years back after getting quite a few "cheese & meat" gifts for Christmas. I also am not a measure cook so will do my best to put these into some form. This has to be the best soup but if you are watching fat/calorie intake stop right here..............

Ingredients:
1 turkey carcass (or seriously if just two or 3 eating and used a chicken to bake just reduce to size I have)
Enough water to just barely cover carcase so 4 to 5 qts depending on pot size
1 or two onions peeled and halfed
2 or 3 stalks celery busted in half if need to fit in pot
2 carrots peeled (same if too long break in half)
*Okay folks let me say right here many times I use the roaster the turkey was cooked in (if no dressing was put around turkey) over two burners and left all the mess in it and if gravey made and some left it all the better)
Boil this along at a simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. I break down the carcass as it goes with a kitchen hammer or masher I also think it gives the broth more flavor especially leg bones,etc Take off heat and allow to cool. Remove any meat on carcass setting it aside.
I drain this through a fine colander tossing the veggies. At this point I usually cool/refridgerate broth over night. You need to cool enough to skim off fat.
Making the soup:
1 small head cauliflower if you like it - clean and broken apart
a bunch of broccoli cleaned and broken apart cut stems into chunks
I peel the stems of the broccoli and cut them into chunks
Select which different cheese's you want to use and cut them in chunks that will melt easily.
Okay, put broth and any remainging turkey meat you have chopped into a soup pan and heat to boiling..just get it where it simmers more than a rapid boil.
Put broccoli and or cauliflower into simmering both stir and begin to add the different cheese you want....**Velveeta really is needed as a base here. Truely I take a fairly wide variety of the gifted cheese and put them in the pot allowing them to melt and mingle together. You can add some half and half or light cream if you wish, I've tried it this way makes it a bit "smoother" but my family and friends prefer just the broth with the different cheeses melted into it and appear to like the combination of cauliflower and broccoli together, a few would/do like just broccoli in it. Always with chunks of turkey meat included of course.
It doesn't take much to fill you up as it is a rich cheesey soup. Hard rolls, I believe, are excellent with this.
If nothing else happens to make the soup right away, I still cook the carcass and save the strained broth in freezer til an easy time or colder day to make this.
I can not tell you how many years friends and family want this by supper time if we have had a large noon feast. We sit around and play cards, watch football, movies, visit and the soup is there to eat one as they want. It is usually gone well before bedtime and the pot is left soaking in the sink.
Any questions please ask.
Thanks
Lo

__._,_.___
Another Great Group of *~ Beth ~*
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment