Friday, June 24, 2016

{soups-salads-and-salad-dressings} New member intro

 

 
 
 
 
Thank you for allowing me to join! Bear with me, I joined a few groups
around the same time, so you may see this intro more than once.
 
My name is Melissa - or Marma, or Mel, "Hey You" or (most commonly) "Mom". I
live in Central Wisconsin with my husband (Craig) and our family that seems
to always be changing in size/number. Currently, we have 11 kids in the
house (ages 13m-19y), and several older ones who live nearby and are often
joining us for meals. It is not uncommon for there to be 20 bodies in our
dining room for an evening meal. No, I did not give birth to them all (there
are often people who wonder that). The youngest 6 are, and then I have 3 who
are 19, 22 & 24. The others are either fosters, children we are legal
guardians of because their parents (friends) are ill or have passed, or were
raised in the nearby Amish community and chose a different path when they
reached their teens/young adulthood.
 
We also raw-feed our house dogs (2 mastiffs, 6 boxers & whatever random
shelter dog I am working with for one of a few support dog for vets programs
I work with) and house cats (currently there are 12 of them), so it is never
completely quiet and certainly never dull around here.
 
We raise much of our own food on our farm, and I also hunt various game. We
figured out several years ago, as our family was growing quickly) that it
was cheaper to do things this way than buy that much meat at the store or
local meat markets. Luckily, we have a produce wholesaler in our little
nearby town, so we can get random fruits and veggies, even in the dead of
winter. The problem is that sometimes we may buy 20-30lbs or more of
something and then wonder what to do with it all! (I mean, what DOES one do
with 150lbs of mangos in December, or our most recent dilemma... 250lbs of
rhubarb at once?)
 
I have always loved cooking, having been taught by my Aunt Rosie (my dad's
sister) in my teens. She had learned old family recipes growing up from my
grandmother and great-aunts, and since she had no children, she wanted to
pass them on to one of her nieces - I was the lucky one.
 
My kids and I all cook together, and we bake most of our own bread and rolls
because, again, it is cheaper than buying it at the store. Saturday evening
is when we bake most of our breads for the coming week, and the older kids
work in small groups to cook a couple nights a week (older boys do one night
  older girls do one night).
 
We do have a few odd allergies in the mix (celeriacs, aspirin - which limits
berries and fruits, latex - which limits more tropical fruits, walnuts &
pecans) and a few dietary issues (celiac, diabetic, kidney-friendly), so I
am always on the hunt for new and different recipes to try out and add to
our arsenal of references.
 
Thanks again for letting me in!
Mel

__._,_.___

Posted by: "mmousecrap@gmail.com" <mmousecrap@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Another Great Group of *~ Beth ~*

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment