Friday, December 5, 2014

{soups-salads-and-salad-dressings} re: [from_the_kitchen] Four Can Taco Soup

 

About the soup.  It was bland upon tasting after an hour.  I added 1 Tbsp. Chili powder, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper.  Later I added 1/2 tsp. Emeril's Southwest Seasoning.  It's finally good but couldn't believe I didn't notice the lack of salt and pepper.  DUH!  LOL
Anyhow, Marilyn sent me two notes about a soup she makes nearly identical to the 4 Can recipe, only hers is good without tinkering!!!!!!!!!!  LOL
I WILL try this recipe again, but I will use Chili beans instead of just kidney beans.  I will either add additional spices OR use the hot taco seasoning packet.
 
Now to Marilyn's notes:
I try to keep the Ranch Beans--has a black label--used to say "Husband Pleasing......" until that became a sexist word!! I use them and black beans  in my Taco soup AKA Santa Fe Soup. Like better than the plain pinto beans in soup! They are cooked with a bit of chili flavor.

Me again-- After reading your recipe, I wanted to share how my Santa Fe Soup resembles it--
1 # ground beef browned with about 1/2 cup diced onion in my soup pot
Add 2 cans (@ 15 oz) Ranch beans
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 cup petite tomatoes
1 cup Rotel tomatoes
10-12 oz frozen corn
(instead of the garlic and onion powder, I use about 2 Tbsp. dry Ranch Dressing mix)
I use about 1/3 package taco seasoning because the Ranch beans are seasoned (My tummy can't take too much spicy!)
Water to make desired consistency
Serve with Fritos or other corn chips, topped with diced green onions, sour cream, and grated sharp cheddar!
Sometimes I leave it sort of thick and use the "scoops" chips. 
For years have had an annual soup night some night before Christmas with three other couples who were married about same time we were--all in HS together. Many years I serve this......

May your CHRISTMAS be Merry and Well-blessed by our Father!



This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com


__._,_.___

Posted by: "Jodi" <tigger63755@charter.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Another Great Group of *~ Beth ~*

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment