_______________________________________

Volume 17 Number 100

RECIPE DU JOUR
Simply the BEST daily recipe E-zine on the Web!
Recipes, columns, and nostalgia.
Archives are at http://lists.topica.com/lists/rdj/read

To subscribe: Go to http://rdjour.wordpress.com/
and if you wish to receive email notice when new issues
are posted, click on the FOLLOW US VIA EMAIL box
(on the right side), and type in your email address.
_______________________________________

White Bean Soup

1 pound Great Northern beans or other white beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup minced fresh onion
3/4 cup diced lean smoked ham
2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
7 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Sort and wash beans, and place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans; set aside. Wipe pan with a paper towel.

Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion, ham, jalapeño pepper, and garlic; sauté 7 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beans, water, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.

Place 2 cups of bean mixture in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return puree to pan; stir in parsley. Makes 5 servings.

. . .
Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
Calories: 381 Calories from fat: 12% Fat: 5.1g Saturated fat: 1.1g Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g Protein: 25.2g Carbohydrate: 60.7g Fiber: 11.8g Cholesterol: 12mg Iron: 5.7mg Sodium: 640mg Calcium: 174mg
_______________________________________

Rich's Note: The Logic And Logistics Of Laundry

Lately I've been spending some time on Pinterest. I enjoy it. It's fun of a sort and relatively mindless; which is something I've needed lately. I've discovered a comfort there, a comfort of images. I don't go for the fashion or the DIY projects or stuff like that. I collect images that I like and want to see again.

At first I did an art board and a board of things that interested me or were somewhat odd or silly and I did a nature board. I did a board of poppy images because I think poppies are pretty. I surprised myself when I started a board of portraits and it quickly became one of my favorites.

And one day, for some reason, I created a laundry board. I didn't know why. I became obsessed with pinning as many laundry images as I possibly could. I have pins of laundry hanging around the world from Paris to Nepal to Singapore. I have sheets and shirts and panties and pillow slips. I have jeans and jumpers and skirts and socks. I have laundry hanging in yards and on balconies and between buildings and on the beaches, in front of cafes and teepees and you name it.

The only reason I can think that set me off is recalling my childhood. I remember our old wringer washing machine and clothesline props. I remember my grandmother explaining the proper ways to hang things and how to use fewer pins by linking articles together. I developed a sense of system and order and efficiency by listening to her explain the logic and logistics of laundry.

. . .
The above column is copyright © 2014 by Richard Rowand. All rights reserved worldwide.
Rich can be reached at rrowand@gmail.com
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

BEANS IN MY EARS
Serendipity Singers 1964

My mommy said not to put beans in my ears
Beans in my ears, beans in my ears
My mommy said not to put beans in my ears
Beans in my ears

Now why would I want to put beans in my ears
Beans in my ears, beans in my ears
Now why would I want to put beans in my ears
Beans in my ears

You can't hear the teacher with beans in your ears,
Beans in your ears, beans in your ears
You can't hear the teacher with beans in your ears,
Beans in your ears

What's that you say, let's put beans in our ears
Beans in our ears, beans in our ears
What's that you say, let's put beans in our ears
Beans in our ears

You'll have to speak up I got beans in my ears
Beans in my ears, beans in my ears
You'll have to speak up I got beans in my ears
Beans in her ears

Say mommy we've gone and put beans in our ears
Beans in our ears, beans in our ears
Say mommy we've gone and put beans in our ears
Beans in our ears

That's nice boys just don't put those beans in your ears
Beans in our ears, beans in our ears
That's nice boys just don't put those beans in your ears
Beans in our ears

I think that all grown-ups have beans in their ears
Beans in their ears, beans in their ears
I think that all grown-ups have beans in their ears
Beans in their ears
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

Recipe du Jour is made possible only by donations from good neighbors like you. If you enjoy receiving RDJ, please support us by sending a check payable to "Richard Rowand" for any amount to: Richard Rowand, PO Box 3385, Leesburg, VA 20177. Or use PAYPAL ( http://www.paypal.com ) and donate (via your account or their secure credit card site) directly thru Rich's email address ( rich@recipedujour.com ). Thank you.
_______________________________________

Good Neighbor Recipes appears every Friday. To submit your recipe to Recipe du Jour's Good Neighbor Recipes, simply send it via email to rrowand@gmail.com Use "GNR" and the title of your recipe as the subject; and you must include your email address in the text in case other readers have questions. Feel free to include some words about yourself or the recipe (please keep it short). Look at the format we use when we present our recipes and try to be similar. Do not submit recipes in "bulleted" or 2 column format. Be sure to be specific in your measurements (don't just say "a small can" of something, give the amount). One recipe per email, please. We reserve the right not to print everything we receive. By submitting to Good Neighbor Recipes, you give us permission to publish your submission in our daily ezine and in any other format, such as a printed collection, without recompense now or in the future. WARNING: If you don't follow the guidelines above, we won't be able to use your recipe!

The nutritional analysis given with some recipes is intended as a guide only.

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, lease, loan, or give our subscribers' addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features are intended as entertainment only.

.