Thursday, November 6, 2014

{soups-salads-and-salad-dressings} Famous Barr's French Onion Soup

 

I can NOT BELIEVE I've let my life get so hectic that I could even possibly "forget" to send the recipes I've done daily for years.  SHEESH!
I got my hair done this morning instead of tomorrow, volunteered at the Senior Center until after 12:30, ran errands until almost 5, fed hubby because he was going to the local university's basketball exhibition game, then ate some every so slightly freezer burned shrimp that I cooked after finding them when I defrosted my freezer yesterday.  Then I started watching The Rachael Ray show I taped today, then The Chew, and thought, "Oh, My Gosh, I have to send the recipes"!  LOL
Here goes
 
Those of you lucky enough to live in the Greater St. Louis area back in the day, might have tasted Famous Barr's French Onion Soup at their anchor store in St. Louis' downtown.  I never ate onions as a child, but I ALWAYS ordered this soup when I was lucky enough to accompany my mom on a shopping trip to the "big city"!  It felt so "grown-up"!  LOL
Famous Barr's French Onion Soup Recipe - Food.com
http://www.food.com/recipe/famous-barrs-french-onion-soup-607
*****
Total Time: 4 hours 25 minutes
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
"One of St. Louis's favorite soup recipes was recently printed in the Post-Dispatch. I remember going to St. Louis when I was young and my family going into the department store's restaurant for this famous soup. Enjoy! Famous-Barr's French Onion Soup "

I changed the quantity to serve 8 instead of 16.  It yields 2 quarts

2 1/2 lbs onions, unpeeled
1/4 cup butter (1 stick)
3/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 bay leaf
7 (8 ounce) cans beef broth, divided (recommended Swanson's)
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
3/8 cup all-purpose flour (such as Wondra) or 3/8 cup instant flour (such as Wondra)
1/2 to taste caramel coloring (optional) or 1/2 to taste Kitchen Bouquet (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 to taste French baguette (optional)
1/2 to taste Swiss cheese (optional) or 1/2 to taste gruyere cheese (optional)
 
Directions:
Peel onions and slice 1/8 inch thick, preferably in a food processor.
Melt butter in a 6-quart (or larger) stockpot. Add onions; cook, uncovered, over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
(The long cooking time makes the onions mellow and sweet.) Stir in pepper, paprika and bay leaf; sauté over low heat 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.
Pour in 6 cans broth and wine. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
Dissolve flour in remaining 1 can broth.
Stir into boiling soup.
Reduce heat and simmer slowly for 2 hours.
Adjust color to a rich brown with caramel coloring, season with salt. Refrigerate overnight. To serve, heat soup in microwave or on stove top.
If desired, pour into ovenproof crocks or bowls.
Top with a slice of bread and a sprinkling of grated cheese. Heat under the broiler until cheese melts and bubbles, about 5 minutes.
Leftover soup can be frozen.
 
|\__/|
(=':'=)
>>o<<
(")_(")   God Bless and have a GREAT DAY!
thisnthat_again-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
thisnthatnographics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
from_the_kitchen-subscribe@yahoogroups.com 
recipes_sharing-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
TheKittyKonnection-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
 
Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart. (Erma Bombeck)
>)))))o>



This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.


__._,_.___

Posted by: "Jodi" <tigger63755@charter.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Another Great Group of *~ Beth ~*

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment