Sunday, November 13, 2011

{soups-salads-and-salad-dressings} Lamb & Lentil Soup

 

My friend Els made this delicious soup for my Soup Group a few weeks ago. It was so good I just had to make it and I have a new iPhone with an 8 megapixel camera I wanted to try out. I took pictures of each step as best I could and put them up on flickr.com. I rolled little lamb meatballs all during the 4th quarter of the football game (we lost). I've tasted as I went along and it's really as good as I remember.
The recipe calls for lamb bones. I had a couple of lamb shoulder steaks in the freezer so I used those for the bones. I browned the daylights out of them. Remember brown food is good. <g> The mealtballs are 1 1/2 tablespoons of ground lamb so they are just the right size to fit in a spoon. I think I'll make some cheddar cheese biscuits to go with the lentils tonight.
So, if you'd like to see go to
http://www.flickr.com/terrypogue
terry

Els' Lentil Soup With Lamb Meatballs
Recipe By: Els Benjamin

Ingredients
Bones from lamb loin chips -- about 4 -5
Olive oil
1 large onion -- chopped
3 rib celery -- chopped
2 large carrots -- chopped
2 cloves -- garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 cup lentils
1 can Onion soup -- not dilated
64 ounce chicken broth
1 sprig parsley
6 to 8 leaves mint chopped
lemon
1/2 bag spinach -- chopped
Meatballs
3/4 lbs lamb -- ground
salt and pepper
Onion powder
Cumin
1 egg
Fine Breadcrumbs

Instructions
Sauté lamb bones in hot oil over medium high heat until well browned, remove and save. Add onions, celery and carrots to the pan and lower heat. Add more oil if needed. Cook until onions are translucent. Add garlic cumin and paprika and cook a few more minutes. Return lamb bones to pan and add lentils, onion soup, broth parsley, mint, lemon and spinach, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover pan and cook for about 1 hour.

Meanwhile combine all the ingredients for the meatballs . Roll ingredients into a ball in your moist hands. Makes about 22 one inch meatballs. Add meatballs to soup after it has cooked 1 hour. Cook a few more minutes, turn off heat and allow them to cook through in hot soup. Taste and adjust flavors.

Once soup has cooled off, place in refrigerator at least 2 days before serving. Remove lamb bones and discard. Serve soup with a tiny leaf of mint.

Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Recipe Notes
Els made this delicious soup for our Soup Group, 2011

Exported from A Cook's Books -- Recipe management for Macintosh

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Another Great Group of *~ Beth ~*
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment