Monday, January 4, 2016

{soups-salads-and-salad-dressings} Jodi's Everyday Chili PLUS BLUE RIBBON Mexican Street Corn Chicken Chili

 

I am still typing one handed.  I understand that many of you are used to five daily recipes.  In my current condition, it takes me almost as long to do one recipe as five before.  I’ve said this over and over and over and over………get my drift?

I WELCOME your contributions. 

It’s currently that time for our annual two week excursion to FL and trust me, I don’t think I have ever needed it more.  2015 was NOT my best year.  I will only be posting sporadically from FL, but you long time members, know that this happens every year.  I WILL return and hopefully, be using both hands by then and get back to the normal output.  In the meantime, please be patient with me and don’t jump ship!  Have a happy new year and a great January.

Jodi

 

In the winter time, I make this recipe at least every other week.  It says 30 minutes, but the longer it cooks, the better it is and the more intense the flavorings.  Don’t over do the spices if you intend to simmer for hours!  Trust me.  Found out the hard way.  LOL

Jodi’s Everyday 30 Minute Chili

1 lb. ground beef (Or turkey or Chorizo, etc.)

1 chopped onion

Brown together and drain off grease.  (Jodi always adds garlic paste)

 

Stir in 2 14 1/2 oz cans sliced stewed tomatoes with juice (OR diced tomatoes prepared for use IN CHILI)

1 8 oz. can tomato sauce

1 15 1/2 oz. can chili beans

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1-2 Tbsp. Chili powder (to taste)

2 tsp. sugar

 

Break up tomatoes with potato masher.  Heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for at least 30 minutes.  I ALWAYS make Mexican Corn Bread to serve with mine.  Hubby loves it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

This one was shared by Kathy…………..

Chili Cook-Off Winner!

 

When there is a chill in the air, it means it’s time to have a pot of chili on the stove!

This creative chicken chili dish won the grand prize in our Cooking Contest Central Chili Cook-Off. Imagine everything you love about a hearty bowl of chili combined with the fabulous flavors of Mexican street corn.  Que fantastico!

 

Congratulations to Shauna Havey on her award-winning “Mexican Street Corn Chicken Chili!” Let’s find out a few of her winning tips and why this recipe earned her a spot in the winners circle.

 

How did you come up with your winning recipe?

One of my favorite things to do is take traditional recipes and make them into something different – I think many of us cooking contesters have that in common!  I’ve been grilling Mexican Street Corn for my family for years and they love it.  We’ve also tried a few recipes for Mexican Street Corn Salad and I thought, “why not chili?”  It ended up being one of the best bowls of chili I’ve ever made.  The fresh, bright toppings really put it over the top.

 

Why is this your signature chili recipe?

My favorite characteristics of a great chili are body and heat which this chili is brimming with.  I use freshly roasted Anaheim chilies to create depth of flavor and then puree some of the beans to make the sauce a velvety texture. Poaching the chicken in the stock before adding it to the chili gives it even more richness.   

 

Do you have an award-winning tips or recipe contest advice?

Whenever I submit a recipe for a contest, I make sure it’s something I love and am proud to serve. I strive to make the contest key ingredient or theme the real star of the dish.  My true love in life next to cooking is food styling and photography, so I use those talents to maximize the appeal of my recipes.

 

Mexican Street Corn Chicken Chili

Recipe by Shauna Havey

 

 

All the intense and exciting flavors of the street food favorite immersed in a velvety base of white chili beans, freshly roasted Anaheim chilies, and tender poached chicken.

 

Ingredients

 

6 Anaheim chilies

6 ears fresh corn, husked

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 quart chicken stock

1/2 Cup Mexican beer (optional)

1 bay leaf

2 jalapenos

4 cloves garlic, peeled

2 Tablespoons olive oil

1/2 stick salted butter

1 sweet onion, diced

1 red onion, diced

4, 14-1/2 ounce cans white chili beans

1 Tablespoon Ancho chili powder

2 tsp cumin

salt and pepper

3 limes

1 bunch cilantro

1 Cup shredded pepperjack cheese

1/2 Cup Cotija cheese, crumbled

 

Instructions

Prepare the chilies: Place the chilies on a sheet pan and set under the broiler for 10 to 15 minutes or until the skin is blackened. Turn once to char both sides. Place the chilies in a zip top bag and let them sit for a few minutes, then pull off the skin, discard the seeds, and dice.

 

Char the corn: Use a sharp knife to remove the corn from the cobs. Place the corn in a hot, dry skillet and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, just until the corn becomes slightly charred. Set aside.

 

Poach the Chicken: Place the chicken breasts into a pot. Pour in the broth and the beer (if using), along with the bay leaf, 1 of the garlic cloves, and 1 jalapeno sliced in half. Bring the chicken to a bare simmer. Cover and turn off the heat. Allow the chicken to poach in the hot liquid for about ten minutes. Remove the chicken from the broth. Run the broth through a mesh strainer and reserve the liquid. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it up.

 

Prepare the chili: In the same pot used for the chicken, heat the olive oil and butter. Add the onion, reserving half of the red onion for garnish. Add the remaining garlic cloves. Cook over medium low heat until translucent. In a food processor add one can of the chili beans, ½ cup of the chicken broth, ½ of the cooked onions, the cooked garlic cloves, and 2 tablespoons of the roasted chilies. Puree and add back to the pot. Add the rest of the beans, the green chilies, the corn, the shredded chicken, the broth, the ancho chili powder, and the cumin. Taste for seasonings and add salt and pepper as needed to taste. Allow the chili to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes to marry the flavors. Chop ½ Cup of the cilantro and add it to the chili. Squeeze in the juice of ½ lime, and add the pepper jack. Taste again for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed. Ladle the chili into bowls and top with some raw red onion, fresh jalapeno slices, cotija cheese, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.

 

Prep Time: 30 mins

Cook Time: 30 mins

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: Serves 8

 

 

posted by KathyJ
Kathys Notes: to try.
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of YaHUaH. Ps 118:26; Mt 23:39
And it shall be that everyone who calls on the Name of YaHUaH shall be saved. Joel 2:32; Joel 2:32; Rom 10:13
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 1 John 3:4
If you love Me, you shall guard My commands (keep My commandments). John 14:15; 14:21; 15:10; 1 John 5:3
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Matt 7:23; Luke 13:27  iniquity=anomia Strongs 458 = without Torah (lawlessness).



This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
www.avast.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Jodi T" <tigger63755@charter.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Another Great Group of *~ Beth ~*

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment