Sunday, November 29, 2015

{soups-salads-and-salad-dressings} Neighborhood Ham and Bean Soup

 

Neighborhood Ham and Bean Soup

This is very good. I used all chicken broth and no bouillon.
It's flavor was better the second day. Perfect for a cold winter night.

Recipe By : Bobbie
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time:
Categories : Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups dried great northern beans
5 cups chicken broth (low sodium is best)
3 cups water
1 large meaty ham bone (I use 2 or 3 smoked ham hocks)
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon dried savory
1 medium onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped (I also put in
-- a handful of the chopped celery leaves)
1 large potato, cut into cubes (optional, but very good)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by
2-inches. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and
let stand for 1 hour. Drain. Add broth, water, ham bone, bouillon and
seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours (I
find I usually add at least an hour to this). Sauté' onions, carrots and
celery in oil; add to soup along with cubed potato (if using). Cover and
simmer 1 hour longer. Debone ham and cut into chunks; return to soup. Skim
fat (I find I don't have any to skim). I like to mash some of the beans
once they get soft. My total cooking time is more like 6 hours than 4 hours.

2. Great served with corn bread.

Nutrition (provided by recipe author)
-------------------------------------
Calories: 201
Total Fat: 2.7g
Cholesterol: <1mg
Sodium: 687.1mg
Carbohydrates: 33.1g
Fiber: 9.1g
Sugar: 3.1g
Protein: 11.7g

Recipe Author: Bobbie
Recipe Source: Food.com

Author Note: The flavors in this bean soup remind me of the bean soup my
grandmother used to make on our farm in Ohio when I was a young girl. I love
to make it during the winter months -- it doesn't last long. My daughter is
now making it for her family as well. Maybe it's called "Neighborhood" bean
soup because the neighbors love it when I make it -- it's a wonderful soup
to share with special friends. It is great served with a nice piece of hot
corn bread. I can't remember exactly where I found the recipe -- but I'm
glad I have it and I hope you will feel the same.

__._,_.___

Posted by: "sharoncapps" <sharoncapps@cableone.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Another Great Group of *~ Beth ~*

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment