Monday, October 30, 2017

{soups-salads-and-salad-dressings} BONUS RECIPE: Cabbage, Sausage and Potato Soup

 

I’m sending you a bonus recipe today because I feel bad about none on Friday.  I worked at the ice cream store Friday, then went to help the men’s Optimist club at Bingo.  I was coughing so badly by that night, I went straight to bed.  I slept very little because of the cough.  I continued to get worse all weekend that this morning my back ached where my lungs are.  I was so scared that I’d developed pneumonia.  It started about 10 days ago with bad allergies, but then we live in the woods, have five indoor cats, plus some carpeting.  It kept getting worse until I developed an upper respiratory infection.  I already have asthma, so this wasn’t good.  When I woke up this morning thinking I might have pneumonia, I was worried that I’d have to reschedule my cervical fusion done Nov. 13!

I went to work.  As soon as lunch was over, I went to the prompt care facility here in town and they took a chest X-ray.  Turns out (Thank God) I don’t have it, but I do have an extreme case of a COPD infection.  The DR gave me a strong antibiotic, told me I was not contagious, and sent me back to work.  We are closing the store this weekend for the season, and I’m working every day until we close so it’s great that I’m not contagious.  I just wish I could get some sleep at night.  Hopefully, the Levaquin will help. 

Yes, I know most of you couldn’t care less about this.  But a blessed few do care and ask about my health issues.  Those who don’t care, just forward the recipe to yourself (If it interests you), deleting my sob story.

 

Another share from Susan’s sister.

Cabbage, Sausage and Potato Soup

This Cabbage, Sausage and Potato Soup recipe is nice and hearty and comforting; it’s full of the best savory flavors, and it’s guaranteed to warm you right up. A perfect fall and winter go-to soup recipe, especially when you are retired!

1 pound kielbasa sausage, sliced into bite-sized pieces

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

3 medium leeks, sliced into 1/8 -inch rounds, white and pale green parts only

2 medium carrots, peeled and diced

1 rib celery, diced

1 small green cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces

3 cloves garlic, minced

6 cups chicken or vegetable stock

1 pound red potatoes, diced

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1 bay leaf

Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper

 

Add sausage to a large stockpot and cook over medium-heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring and flipping occasionally, until the sausage is lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a separate plate, and set aside.

Add the olive oil, leeks, carrots and celery to the pan, and stir to combine. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the cabbage and garlic, and sauté for 4 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the stock, potatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, cooked sausage, and stir to combine.  Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer.  Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and tender. Taste and season with a few generous pinches of salt and black pepper as needed.

Serve warm, or refrigerate in sealed containers for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.

You can also use traditional kielbasa sausage, or any kind of smoked pork, chicken, turkey, or vegan sausage that you’d like.  (Bratwurst also works!)

 

As you waste your breath complaining about life, someone out there is breathing their last.

Appreciate what you have.

Be thankful and stop complaining.

Live more, complain less.

Have more smiles, less stress.

from_the_kitchen-subscribe@yahoogroups.com  

recipes_sharing-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

TheKittyKonnection-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

lindasplaceincyberspace-subscribe@yahoogroups.com 

 

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Jodi Thompson" <tigger63755@charter.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Another Great Group of *~ Beth ~*

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment